What is Shiatsu?
Shiatsu is a technique which was developed in Japan, it is a style of bodywork in which pressure is applied by fingers on specific points of the body, stretches, rocking movements and joint rotations to restore the perfect energy flow (Chi in Chinese and Ki in Japanese). Shiatsu is a holistic therapy which addresses the complete body rather than focusing on a single area where symptoms are most obvious.
“Shiatsu” the term comes from combination of 2 Japanese words Shi(Finger) and atsu (pressure) but a Shiatsu practitioner can also apply pressure by using their elbows, hands and knees. During Shiatsu it is best to wear loose clothing and it is usually performed on a mat on the floor.
Theory behind Shiatsu is similar to that of acupuncture, that a human body has unseen energy pathways along which the energy flows.
When a person is fit and healthy, energy flows freely along the meridians or the energy channels, supplying all parts of the body with the necessary vital energy. But if the body gets week due to poor diet, drugs, caffeine, alcohol, emotional stress then the Ki no longer flows smoothly. The Shiatsu therapist knows the unseen energy pathways and he/she works on the meridians and balances the energy flow.
Getting the Energy to Flow Again
By applying pressure to the pressure points or tsuobos, the therapist identifies the blockages and imbalances and helps the energy to flow smoothly again. If Ki or energy is deficient, the therapist introduces energy to that area with touch. If the particular point is hard or painful to touch, that means there is an excess of Ki which the therapist will drain.
Benefits of receiving Shiatsu
- Shiatsu can help in reliving constipation when it is applied on abdominal area. The pulling and stretching and pulling due to the massage can loosen the muscles and relax the intestines and colon.
- Shiatsu pulls out tension and spasms from the muscles and eliminates the muscle aches by rubbing and pulling of the skin and muscles of the body. Pressing upon the acupressure points can release tension.
- Migraines are caused due to rapid narrowing and widening of the blood vessels in the brain, causing a lot of irritation and pain. Shiatsu helps people suffering from migraines by relaxing the body, boosting the blood flow and helping to maintaining proper circulation throughout the body.
- Shiatsu Therapy is a non-invasive therapy which helps reduce tension, stress and depression and can leave you calm and relaxed after a session.
- Rheumatoid arthritis is a kind of chronic inflammation of the tissues in the body and itattacks the linings of the joints. Pressure from the Shiatsu treatment when applied to hands,feet or any other affected area of the body helps to limber muscles, give nutrition to the muscles by improving the blood circulation and helps in reducing the pain in the affected arthritis area.
- Shiatsu helps in stimulating the circulation in the capillaries of the soft tissues in the skin. The massage also helps in secretion of sebaceous glands and keeps the skin smooth and moist, this can help the skin remain perfect and avoid wrinkling. Improved blood circulation in the body helps to keep a nice glow to the skin.
- Shiatsu therapy has been used for thousands of years to help women during monthly cycles, alleviate cramps during menstruation and pregnant women during labour.
- Shiatsu can also help those people who suffer from fatigue and weakness by maintaining their energy levels.
If you are in Winnipeg you can visit Henderson Massage, Winnipeg for a perfect Shiatsu Massage.